Monday, May 02, 2005

Bread and crackers

First, I just wanted to let anyone who is reading this know that you should feel free to leave comments. I really enjoyed seeing the message from Kerri and reading her blog. So please don't be shy!

I love to bake. I grew up with my mom having Friday's off and she would bake six loaves of whole wheat bread. Upon arriving home from school I would walk into the house that would be filled with the smell of fresh bread. The heel was my favorite part, with warm butter.

I went to college and during my junior year called my mom up to get that recipe. She laughed at me, at my desire to start baking now that she wasn't there to help me and show me how. I got the recipe and made some bread. It takes about 4-5 hours start to finish since the bread rises so many times. The first time I made it it was nothing like my mother's bread. But I continued trying and started baking bread fairly often.

After being diagnosed I didn't bake for almost 8 months. I was just worried about the carbs. How on earth to do I figure out how many carbohydrates are in this homemade bread? I finally just decided that I'd figure it out by trial and error. I baked a few months ago and it was fine (the bread was great too).

Yesterday I had a free Sunday for the first time in about a month. I used it to clean and bake. I made multi-grain bread (two loaves) and whole wheat crackers. It was such a good feeling to not only bake, but to think of my mom baking those same things years ago. The only difference is that now I have to think about my blood sugar.

7 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Hello,

I just came across your blog and wanted to say "yes." Having to THINK about everything you eat is just so darn hard. And then trying to make the things you loved-- still love-- work in your diet, compounds the whole process.

My son was diagnosed last August, and we are constantly working on this. Today, when I pick him up at the bus stop, we're heading for the bakery for his favorite "fabulous chocolate chip cookie." It's taken almost two months to figure out the right bolus amount and duration to cover this treat. But it was worth it!

Keep writing. It helps to get a glimpse of what my son's life might be like when he's grown...

Sandra

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Hello Sandra!

Thanks for the message. It's nice to know that while I have this disease I don't have to completely cut out anything. Everything in moderation (after you figure out the carbohydrates).

I'm sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis but am glad that he's doing well enough to enjoy his favorite cookie. :)

Tekakwitha

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Share the recipe please! And how many carbs you think it is.

THANKS!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Hey there. Thanks for linking my site here!

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi--thought your site and comments on baking were really interesting. I am not an experienced cook/baker, but I am type 1 and have been for nearly 28 years. I have found that when you make your own meal from recipes you know (particularly those in Cooking Light mag, which list every nutritional detail), it's easier to get the carb numbers accurate. And if you are making bread from your own recipe, you can do the math yourself (i.e., get a carb counting book and actually figure out how many carbs are in the four cups of flour, or whatever, goes into your recipe, and then figure out how many carbs would be in a particular serving, or whatever). I know this is tedious, and believe me, I *know* how tedious diabetes care is, but if you do it once, you'll know how much to bolus/inject for that particular food from here on. Good luck!
--Cheryl

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Thanks for the tip Cheryl. I need to just make the time to sit down and figure that out. I have several recipes I could do that for.

Tekakwitha

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about Chocolate Labrador Retrievers
. You can check it out at Chocolate Labrador Retrievers


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter