Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Jumping on the bandwagon: Hypos without Symptoms!

It's not really bandwagon I wanted to jump on, but there it is. After reading Kerri's scary post I decided to post about my recent (albeit not nearly as low or eventful) hypo without symptoms.

This past weekend I was in Minneapolis with my boy. We had gone out for a couple drinks with friends on Friday night after a quick bit to eat. We get back to his apartment and decided that leftovers sound perfect. We share half of my left over quesadilla while chatting. About an hour later we're both ready for sleep and I grab my meter to do the before sleep check. 44. Huh? I almost check it again before I realize that there's not much time for rechecking, even though I FEEL NOTHING. I tell him I need some juice to drink, and we both head to the fridge to forage for a sugar filled liquid. I grab a capri sun and drink. I'm sitting on his bed, tears streaming down my face, eating a peanut butter cracker, with him sitting next to me trying to comfort me, more bewildered than anything.

Since we are in a long distance relationship, he hasn't ever seen me in a panicky low situation. And this was especially panicky for me since it was my first hypo without symptoms. I'm not too worried about it now, but if it happens again I will be.

In other news, I just got a note from my insurance company that they aren't going to cover a $1,000 bill from my endocrinologist. It was from the appointment I had with my CDE about testing out the CGMS. Both her and I assumed that they would reject covering the two sensors, but not the appointment cost. I've yet to get a bill from her though, so I hope she's trying her hardest to hassle them into payment. Otherwise... I don't know. I should start playing the lottery.

Finally, in happy news, I went on a 3 mile run around a beautiful lake in Minneapolis with my boy on Saturday morning. I'm offically ready for my first 5k at the end of April!

3 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Ug, we don't like those lows without symptoms. Not one bit.

Like you say, not a wagon you want to be on, but there it is.

Would that have been Lake Calhoun you & your boy ran around? That lake is connected to two others near there (Lake of the Isles & Cedar Lake), and it's one of my favorite places to take my kayak.

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lows without symptoms, oh, how they suck. I've certainly had my share. What's funny for me is that after 25 years I've learned that my hypos-without-symptoms DO have symptoms. They're miniscule but they exist. The smallest headache in the world, or letters surreptitiously moving as I try to read them, or most common, just the faintest, most delicate shadow of mental doubt. New hypo symptoms! There you go! I just have to be SO ALERT. Geez.

Good luck with this stuff and hope you had a great visit otherwise. Glad the boy was there with you.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Kassie said...

Hey Tek - are you going to the Diabetes Expo in ChiTown next weekend? If so, email me at kassie@parentswithdiabetes.com and I'll have the Bayer Sales Reps hold a copy of the book for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter