Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Why oh Why Have I Waited So Long!?

I have used an One Touch Ultra Smart meter since the day I was diagnosed in April of 2004. About a year ago I switched to the Multi Clix lancet, which is lovely. But I've never even thought about changing meters, mostly because my pharmacy would automatically mail me test strips for this meter every 3 months, and I was too lazy to change.

But at my last endocrinologist appointment (which went well) I asked my doctor for a script for the FreeStyle Flash and strips. Oh. My. God. After opening the package yesterday I just kind of stood there with this tiny thing in my hand and thought "I'm an idiot." I'm so behind the game it's embarrassing. Just the tiniest drop of blood is all it needs. It fits in my cute little kit much better than the giant Ultra Smart. And that little light at the end that shines on the test strip? Ingenious.

And now for something completely different: the eye sight in my left eye is getting worse. I wear contacts. I don't have terrible eye sight, but things are fuzzy if I don't wear them. But lately I've been noticing the fuzziness in my left eye when I'm wearing my contacts. It's time for my annual eye exam, so I've got an appointment in two weeks. *sigh* I'm going to just assume that it's normal, not diabetes related. But it still makes me nervous.

6 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched to the Freestyle Flash last year! I was even more behind the game, because not only was I using a HUGE meter but also a SLOW one (the Accu-Chek Advantage). 26 seconds (no joke) vs. 5 makes a huge difference (esp. when checking BS on the subway in NYC).

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Kelsey said...

Oh yeah, you gotta love the Freesytle Flash.

I keep it by my bed at night and can wake up to test without turning on a light. I love that!

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I hate to say I told you so... but isn't it just great?

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HAVE a freestyle flash, but I only use it for runs that I do outside. It takes up so much less space than any other meter! Otherwise, I use the UltraSmart. I WOULD use the freestyle 100% of the time, but my insurance covers my strips with the Ultra smart with no copay, and for the freestyle flash the same amount of strips I'd have to pay 60% of retail. At 1,350 strips every three months for around 100 bucks for 100 strips, that would run me around 810 bucks. That's craziness! So I buy at retail price just for my runs and use the free ultra smart strips the rest of the time

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

I'm excited to have a pump small enough to take on longer runs as well Sarah.

Amy, what can I say, you're right!

Kelsey, I love that light! So does the boy when I wake to check at night. :)

Jana, 26 seconds?! Gah!

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the same way when I switched over... I love how you can re-squeeze some blood into the test strip in case you didn't get enough rather than having to waste another test strip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter