Monday, May 23, 2005

Pleasant Surprise

I went to my gym on Friday after work to do some weight training. I haven't weighed myself since my last doctor visit about 3 weeks ago. I weighed 150, the top of my ideal weight. I decided to find out how well my revised South Beach diet was working. After two weeks of eating far less carbohydrates, but still eating fruit and some whole grains everyday, I had lost 5 pounds! After about a year of not being able to drop a pound, it's pretty exciting. What's really great is that I have only had a couple lows (60s) in the past two weeks, where as before I was having a low almost once a day.

This week will go by fast at work. Tomorrow I get to go to camp! The nonprofit I work for owns and runs a camp in Wisconsin and twice a year we get to go out and help prepare it for the summer. Nothing like cheap labor! But it should be a good break from sitting at the computer all day. Then after work on Thursday I'll be driving home to visit my family. I get to see my nephew/god son, which I'm so excited about! He's 17 months old and has more energy than any child I've ever seen. My sister told me that yesterday, while visiting my mom and dad, he just ran around the block, over and over. I guess I won't have to worry about missing my workout next weekend. :)

5 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Tekawitha,

Congrats on the weight loss! 5 pounds is awesome... and in only 2 weeks-- great job!

Camp in Wisconsin, hmmmm. I wonder if I know it. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous up here tomorrow, so spending time at camp should be fun.

Sounds like you can look forward to a very nice weekend. Reconnecting with family (especially the littlest members) is always rejuvenating.

Have fun!

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your weight loss may be causing the lows -- you may need to recalcuate boluses or basals.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I'm happy to hear SB is working for you. Congrats on dropping 5 lbs. That's the perfect amount for 2 weeks.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Well done on the weight loss front, my friend.

And as far as weight loss affecting lows, I have noticed that if I lose or gain 5 pounds, my basal rate needs serious tweaking. I take roughly 35 units of Humalog per day. If you're on a low total daily dose, contact your doctor about dialing down the basal a little bit. People with lower TDD oftentimes need to update basal rates with their weights.

The more you know ... and then that star goes over your head. You remember those commercials, right?

Kerri.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Thanks for all the support!

Kerri - Yes, I remember. I actually heard the little jingle while reading that...

As far as lows and basal rates: My whole problem has been that I'm not taking any basal insulin from 8am to 8pm, but I still have an afternoon drop (not as much now with the new eating habits). I've cut the amount of insulin I need for lunch, hoping to cut back on any late effects from that. As long as I sip Gatorade while working out I seem to come out alright. *sigh* It's an imperfect science. :)

Sandra - The camp is called House In The Wood! I'm very excited about getting out of the city for a day!

- Tekakwitha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter