Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Making things pretty

I have a medical id necklace that I never wear. I know I know, it's really stupid not to wear it, especially since I travel all around Chicago on the bus and L by myself. But that thing is so damn ugly and my limited fashion sense forbids me from wearing it with many of my shirts, so that means it must be REALLY ugly.

That's why I purchased a new bracelet. Currently it has a metal bangle that's pissing me off. Whenever I turn my wrist the thing constricts my movement. I have requisitioned my brother's girlfriend to make me several interchangeable bands to go with it. She makes jewelry sometimes so was pretty excited about it. I've asked for three kinds. 1. Exercise band. 2. Casual, Everyday, Wear to work band. 3. Pretty dress-up band. She most excited about the last one, but I'm just excited to have some options. These things are just so ugly, but very very important. My parents paid for it. It's my Christmas present. I'll have to wrap it up on Christmas eve and be surprised...

This Sunday I'm dropping $110 to attend a one day class at one of the best massage therapy schools in Chicago. It's a basics class for those who are interested in learning the very basics to give massages to their friends/family, and for those who are looking into the 12 or 15 month program. I'm of the later. I'm so excited for this class. Massage therapy is something I've been interested in for many years and I've finally started looking into it seriously. Currently my two concerns are finances (as always) and health insurance. Most massage therapists work as independent contractors and pay for their own health care. Ha ha ha ha ha! I don't see that happening anytime soon. But there are some large spas that provide coverage, as well as massage therapists in hospitals and sports clinics. So there are options... At this point I'm just excited to go to the class and see if it's something I'm really interested in.

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Hey T--

If you do decide to pursue the massage therapy thing, let me know. I have a friend down in the old neighborhood (Lincoln Park) who runs a massage therapy studio (think she's been there for @ 6 or 7 years).

She's really terrific-- was a nanny, then a chef -- before pursuing her current career.

If nothing else, maybe she could give you some advice.

Oh, and I don't know how you feel about working with pregnant women and children, but there's quite a niche market for massage therapists there (used to have one work with students in my birthing classes).

Just realized I'm kind of rambling here.

Have fun this Sunday!

Sandra

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Thanks Sandra,

I'm sure I'll post about the class on Monday. If I'm still thinking this is what I want to do I'd love to get your friend's contact info!

-Tek

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter