Thursday, October 27, 2005

Picture

Yesterday I got home from work and found a card in the mail addressed to me. It was from an address I'd never seen before. I opened it and out fell a picture of the most beautiful two year old boy, head full of blonde hair, smiling at the camera holding Rufus the diabetic bear. It was a thank you card from the mother of the boy who was recently diagnosed to whom I'd sent my Rufus stuffed bear to.

Her note was almost unbearable. Read about how much her and her family appreciated the small token of the stuffed animal and reading about how difficult it's been just broke me. Standing in the entry way of my apartment, still wearing my coat and scarf, looking at this beautiful little boy with his medical alert bracelet visible, I just started crying. I've been reading all of these blogs by parents of type 1 kids(Dee, Sandra, Shannon, Martha, along with everyone replying to Kerri's recent request) and then getting this card has just made me so aware of the struggle that the parent have.

This post doesn't have much of a point beyond me wanting to share it with whomever reads this. This disease sucks sucks sucks.

3 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Your post struck a chord with me tonight, in particular. Maybe it's because I've spent the better part of the last 24 hours with moderate ketones, bloodsugars running the gamut from 52 mg/dl to 339 mg/dl. Maybe it's the sick feeling I get in my stomach when I think about my Joslin appointment next Tuesday. Maybe it's reading all the poignant, raw responses to my question on my blog.

Whatever the case, I'm tired tonight. Of being a diabetic.

Tomorrow will be better. But for tonight, I'm glad you guys are all out there.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Kerri

indeed. hope you're doing better today.

T

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T-
Thanks for making it easier for us too, as parents.

I really mean it!

Dee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter