Monday, October 24, 2005

Today

Today I'm angry.

For three days my blood sugar has been in the 200s more often than not. There are so many variables to check to figure out what's wrong.

Is it the insulin? I was nearing the end of the month. I tossed it and opened the new bottle.

Is it the site? I just changed it on Saturday morning. But I changed it again. Sometimes it's hard to get the right angle in my leg.

Is it the food I've been eating? I was at a wedding this weekend. Long road trip, crappy food all weekend. I ate my regular breakfast today that I always am able to bolus correctly for.

Is it the exercise (or lack their of)? I've been so busy for the past few weeks I haven't made it to the gym. I start again today after work.

Is it my body telling me it just needs more? Honey. Moon? Such a drastic change in a matter of days makes me think this is unlikely. But I just don't want to think about that. It just makes things more difficult.

So today I'm angry. And thirsty. And tired. I'm slowly crossing each variable off my list. I better figure it out soon.

5 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you want input -- I vote for all of the above.

I hate unexplained highs -- in my case it's often the very beginnings of an infection or some bug my students sneeze on me.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

I've had those days/weeks as well. Crummy feeling. And when you can't isolate the reason ... nothing is more frustrating.

Good luck working through the variables. Solving for "x" and whatnot. "X" being the "Why Am I So HIGH???"

(I always was rotten at math, so even that phrase was tough to type.)

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Thanks Kathy & Kerri!

I left work early yesterday and with a bs of 160 went and worked out. After I was done I was at 100. It was as if the skies had parted it was such a wonderful feeling.

I spoke to my cde and I've adjusted my basal rate. My readings during the night were great and they were great this morning. So I'm feeling much better. Thanks!

T

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

So glad you worked through this. In th the last week, Joseph's been running into some crazy highs (and lows from overtreatment, I'm afraid) as well.

He's definitely been less active lately with the recent wet weather and colder temps.

Also, at a JDRF meeting tonight, a number of folks reminded me that insulin is not absorbed as well when the weather is colder... hmmmm... yet another variable? Yes, that's all we need.

Anyhow, keep up the terrific work!

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmigod! I had exactly the same thing last week! See my post entitled "Crap!"

This is the most frustrating thing of all, I find: the guessing game.

I'm sure we'll both come down soon.

Best,
AmyT of www.diabetesmine.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter