Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Busy!

I've been so busy this past week! I was at camp on Wednesday and realized how much I enjoy being outside doing physical labor. I shoveled mulch, water proofed a dock, and tilled a big garden. I also ate the best meals, let alone camp meals. Everything was homemade and laden with everything I shouldn't be eating. When the director told me how much butter was in the mashed potatoes (ooo, that's not really a part of the south beach diet is it?!) I just laughed and said "well, it's good I don't eat like this everyday!" On the drive back into the city that night I started to realize how hard I'd worked... I ached for several days. Who knew about those forearm muscles!

I also went home this weekend and stayed with my sister. I got to wake up at 6:30 every morning to the sounds of my nephew, Sage, happily running through the house. I bought him a tray of brightly colored blocks (I remember playing with blocks just like them as a kid) to play with. He liked it when I stacked them up and he could kick them down and yell 'ka-boom!' I think I took about 50 pictures of him this weekend.

I got back Sunday night and yesterday my roommates and I grilled in the backyard with friends. I diligently applied sunscreen but somehow managed to miss my entire left arm (I did get the shoulder though). So now I have one red arm that stops right below my shoulder. Classy.

I've been happy with how my blood sugar has been throughout this all. It's always a challenge to travel, eating food you don't normally eat, or trying to find something, anything to eat while driving. I hate fast food (I recommend reading Fast Food Nation) so I tried to bring a bunch of food with me this time. It worked pretty well. I still had a couple spikes in my blood sugar into the low 200's after a couple strange meals, but was pretty good overall.

Kerri- Here is a top five list for your game:

Top five bands that are currently getting the most play on my iPod:
1. The Decemberists
2. Andrew Bird
3. Iron and Wine
4. The Hold Steady
5. Mountain Goats

Top five things that may lead people to believe I'm a bit crazy:
1. I don't really like ice cream.
2. Personal Bubble: If someone, anyone, touches me without me knowing they are going to, I flinch. Not just a little flinch, a BIG, shrinking away flinch accompanied by an angry glare. I blame this on my brother for snapping towels at me when we were growing up.
3. Frozen Liver Sticks: My mom used to feed these to my siblings and I when we were growing up. She claimed it helped with teething. When I tell people this they are so disgusted they think I'm lying. I never eat liver anymore.
4. I like going to the dentist because I love how clean my teeth feel afterwards.
5. I was in marching band in high school and really really liked it. I played the trumpet.

Most recent movie I've loved: Motorcycle Diaries
Most recent book I've loved: assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. (And anything by Augusten Burroughs!) Any book I read that's been written by her or David Sedaris, I can't help but read with their voices (in my head of course). I saw David Sedaris speak in Iowa City a few years ago and loved his voice.

Ah! That's it for now! I like that game!

16 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Welcome back!

So you like going to the dentist too, eh? Thought I was the only one who liked that "just cleaned" feeling.

And another Sedaris fan. Who has actually heard him live. You people are killin' me here.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Interesting blog you have here, I landed here on accident. I was searching for something else and came across your site. I found it pretty interesting and entertaining. I got you book marked.

I will pop back in from time to time to see what you have new here.

My site is a bit different than yours, but just as entertaining and educational, I run a diabetes foundation related site pertaining to diabetes foundation related articles.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Legal said...

Nice Blog

I have a diet heath and fitness tips blog

If you have time stop by sometime

Keep up the Good Work**Diet Health and Fitness Tips**

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Health blog. It pretty much covers Dieting Health Fitness Exercise related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about south beach diet plan.com and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about south beach diet plan.com so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog about the south beach diet is a great place to obtain good ideas.
Will definitively return regulary. Why not check out my site about south beach diet as you will find some interesting resources on the subject.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love auto paint then you will want to be there! All kinds of auto paint will be in attendance. For more information go to auto paint
See Ya There!!

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have an interesting blog fount the info very usefulI i have a cholesterol diet low site. Its full of useful cholesterol diet low related stuff.
come and check it out if you get chance
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about water skiing miami
. You can check it out at water skiing miami
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Stop by health insurance ca

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a sweet and low site/blog.

Come and check it out if you get time. :-)

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger plasticdoc said...

Hi:, Just came across your blog. Intersting post and good looking site. I'm definitely going to visit again! I recently set up a new website just about San Diego dentists There are a lot of interesting dental articles. We will also feature Tijuana dentists If you have the time, please stop by and let us know how we can improve the site. Bob

 
At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the page you have here. Check mine out data recovery program

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog for gluten free diet. I am going to have to bookmark this blog for when I want to learn more about gluten free diet.

I think anyone interested in gluten free diet would find my site interesting and entertaining. Stop by when you have time.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog for 3 day diet. I am going to have to bookmark this blog for when I want to learn more about 3 day diet.

I think anyone interested in 3 day diet would find my site interesting and entertaining. Stop by when you have time.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word poster, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter