Thursday, June 09, 2005

54, do you need a snack?

On my commute home yesterday, while sitting on the bus reading, I noticed something. Hm, am I starting to sweat? I think I'm sitting under a vent as well, so I should feel fine... Are my hands starting to tingle? Oh! I should check my blood sugar.

It's then that I realize how long it's been since I've last had any noticeable lows (below 70 is when I feel it). Wow, how long has it been? Three weeks. Three Weeks!

I check my blood sugar on the bus and see I'm at 54, with my meter asking me if I need a snack. I pull out a couple glucose tabs and am fine by the time the bus gets to my stop.

I attribute my success at not having very many lows to my new way of eating. I had the most problems at around 3:30-4 in the afternoon before I cut down on my carb intake. Before, I would check at noon and eat 40 carbs (sandwich) and take four units of insulin. Three hours later my blood sugar would be 150 or 160 (not that great). But if I tried to bolus to correct, even the smallest amount, in 2 hours I would drop hard to the 40s or 50s. Since I switched to my new way of eating I've been having salads or veggies & hummus for lunch, cutting way back on carb intake over lunchtime. I would still eat good carbs for breakfast and dinner though. Anyway, yesterday I was forced to eat cereal for lunch do to my budget and laziness. and then BAM! I get a low. So, apparently my body just does not LIKE that insulin over lunch.

What really matters is that I've found a way to prevent these late afternoon lows (besides eating a snack then, of course), which is good!

5 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Awesome work you're doing. I happy to hear the diet is working for you.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

My grammar isn't that bad (I'm) happy to hear the diet is working.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Thanks Shannon!

ps. Those typos don't phase me at all anymore! I can't imagine how many I have in my posts!

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's in a sandwich that gets it up to 40 carbs? new to the game with a nine year old and just curious.

 
At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog for crash diet. I am going to have to bookmark this blog for when I want to learn more about crash diet.

I think anyone interested in crash diet would find my site interesting and entertaining. Stop by when you have time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter