Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A little hot, a little high

I've been on the pump for a year now. Last summer I was at 7,000 feet in Arizona and never had to worry about leaving my open bottle of insulin out. I'd put it in the cupboard and it was fine. Temperatures in shade never went above 75 I think.

Anyway, while I know that insulin should be kept cool and in the fridge, I guess I forgot about it when it started to get really warm here. For several days my blood sugars were getting just a little high, day by day. Just last night I had one of those *doh* moments and realized that it's been HOT here and I've just been leaving my insulin on my dresser! I threw the half empty bottle away and changed sites (it was time anyway) with a new bottle from the fridge. Silly me, forgetting the basics of insulin storage. Sometimes it feels like I have been doing this forever, that I could check my blood sugar in my sleep. And then I do something stupid like this and realize that there's always more to learn and things to remember.

Has anyone had any problems with the pump and summer heat? I wonder about that since the insulin is getting body heat & heat from the sun/air. Any tips or advice?

On a different note, I am not ashamed to say that I love Harry Potter. I read the five books about 3-4 years ago (can't remember when the last one came out). I decided to borrow all the books from my sister and reread them before the new book comes out. I've been devouring them! They are just so fun to read and I fly through a book in a day or two. My roommate told me last night that I needed to 'stop obsessing over Harry and listen to me!' while I was reading. I'm almost done with the fifth book and plan on going to the library to find a nice nonfiction to sink my teeth into to get some of this wizard world out of my head. :)

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hail from the Great White North, where we only have three balmy summer months (But we don't live in igloos lol) so I can't say I've come up against really hot pump/insulin issues before. However, we do have the occasional 30C (sorry, don't know what that is in F) weather, and I always keep my pump covered by a shirt in that case. I've never had any problems in that kind of heat as long as the pump isn't directly exposed to the hot sun. If you're really worried, check out the Frio pumps (google search FRIO for the website) or else look into getting a neoprene case for your pump.

Harry Potter...I want to BE Harry! (ok, make that Hermione lol) The sixth installment is due out the day after my birthday and I am stoked! You are never too old for HP!!

Tiffany

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have never had any problems with leaving my Novolog vials out. I keep all the unopened ones in the fridge, and the one open one I keep with my supplies. A vial typically gets used up in 10 days. My house has air, so it doesn't get above 75F.

I too love the Harry Potter books. I especially like that they are becoming more mature as the series continues. The last book was darker then I was expecting, but it was very moving.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Texas, and I too have had problems with "hot" insulin.

I keep the open bottle in a small bag that I make sure stays with me, and every other bottle I keep in the fridge.

I'll also start seeing high blood sugars the third day, so I just change my sets (and insulin) every two. I do that a lot anyway. I'll try to fill the cartridge with a tad more than I use, but sometimes I am off a bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter