Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The day to post

As today is the day to post, here I am!

Favorite meter: The one and only meter I've ever owned - One Touch Ultra Smart. It holds all my information and has a larger screen that shows me graphs and averages and all that good stuff. I haven't had any problems with it so far, but I've also heard great things about the FreeStyle Flash.

Favorite pump: Minimed model 512. Again, this is the only pump I've owned. It has no name, although it's been confused for a pager, cell phone and (my favorite) a can of mace. It's not failed me yet.

Favorite Online Support Group: Why, the O.C. of course!

Favorite ID jewelry: My soon to be created custom bracelets! Or in theory they're my favorite. :)

Favorite DIABETIC MOMENT: When I was diagnosed my dad flew out to Arizona immediately (my mom stayed home to work/watch my younger sister). He was in the hospital with me and with me when I was released. The first morning in my house after diagnoses I was on the couch and my dad was in the bathroom looking in the mirror. He said "gah! *sigh* I'm going bald K. It's time I face the truth, I'm going bald." I look up at him with a straight face and say "oh yeah? Well I've got diabetes." We both looked at each other and burst into laughter. I think it was the first time I laughed for real after diagnosis.

10 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

OK, that was my chuckle of the morning.

I got a diabetes funny the other day... I was with two other moms of kids with diabetes and our kids were all playing in the pool. One of the kids came out to get a snack and a shot, my son came out to test his blood sugar, and the woman at the table gave us all a look like "What..?"

We told her our kids all had diabetes and then, of course, began the whole Type 1 vs. Type 2 conversation. I was explaining to her that my son's pancreas no longer worked and did not make any insulin at all. Next words out of her mouth: "Are you SURE?"

The three of us waited to burst into laughter until she had left.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy D-Blog Day, Tek!

Here's my funny: When we went camping my 5yr-old found a little friend in the next campsite. On their way back over to us I overheard the other little girl saying: "My mommy's got a horse." To which my daughter replied: "Oh yeah, well my mommy's got diabetes!"

Anyhoo, please pay me a visit on D-Blog day at www.diabetesmine.com. This is my rare chance to ask for some reader feedback.

Thanks much,
- AmyT

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Afternoon, T-

LOL, Love love love your diabetic moment-- gave me the laugh I was hoping for today!

And hey, we use the Ultra Smart as well-- Joseph won't even consider using anything else!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't wait to see your custom ID braclets. I don't have one because I have not found one I like yet. Post some pics when you get them!

Thanks for blogging with us!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Favorite Diabetic Moment: I had explained what my insulin pump was and what it did to my four year old nephew. He shook his head in understanding.

Then I overheard another little kid asking him what that was on his aunt's waist.

The reply was clear and left no room for negotiations.

"She's a robot."

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Ha ha ha! Thanks for sharing your diabetic moments! All of them are priceless. :)

I'll post pictures of my bracelets once I get them!

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're still off on the "favorite" moments, but Bailey does love proclaiming to the world that she has "diabeeeteees."

And that she has a vagina.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Val said...

My funny -
My first low after diagnosis - I was alone with the kids when my BG hit 43. I was pretty nervous. I called my ten year old over, trying to explain to him in a reassuring tone that I'd already drank juice, so everything would probably be fine, but just in case Mommy started acting funny or fell to the floor --
"I know, I know," he said impatiently. "Dump a glass of water over your head and give you a juice box." I started to laugh and said dumping the water was probably not necessary. "I know that," he said. "But I bet I could get away with it."

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats pretty funny...your moment with your pops i mean...i have funny D-moments all the time i should start posting them up

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up Tekakwitha! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on massage therapy hawaii for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though The day to post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at massage therapy hawaii. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at massage therapy hawaii. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter