Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The double check

Last Sunday I was sitting down to breakfast after a friend's wedding in the Amana Colonies in Iowa. I was at 98 upon waking up and hadn't eaten anything or taken any insulin. It was about 2 hours after waking up that I check my blood sugar again before eating. 354.

First it's the wave of anger. OVER 300?! How is that even possible?!

Second is the wave of disappointment. I must have done something wrong. Did I eat something that I'm not remembering? Miss a bolus?

Third is the doubt. The doubt hit me when I was just about ready to press the ACT button, sending way too many units of insulin into my system to correct the high and cover my meal. The doubt stuck. I hit escape and licked my finger. Did that taste sweet? I check another finger and ring in at a lovely 94.

Fourth is the relief. Oh man that could have been bad. But it wasn't because I caught it just in time.

In other news: I've decided to drive back home to surprise my sister for her 30th birthday party next weekend. It's a Halloween theme so I'm thinking of a costume that'll be better than Velma from last year. And the boy has to think of one too. I came up with an idea and shared it with my dad, who thought it was the funniest thing in the world (it's not, it's actually kind of silly). I'm going to dress as a chef, with an apron and a chef hat. Then I'm going to carry around a mixing bowl with a spoon in it and it will be filled with little cotton ball clouds, lightning bolts, rain drops, tornadoes etc. I'll be cooking up a storm....

Ba dum CHING!

6 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Kelsey said...

I had the same weird "something sweet on my finger" thing a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I didn't retest until after the bolus. Luckily we were near some cookies, thus I had a remedy.

What a pain- huh?

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

What an awesome costume idea. Perfect!!

I was a big fan of the Velma bit from last year. That costume was pretty sweet, too. :)

And that "sweet finger" thing happened to me once when I was waitressing. Tested at 490 something. Freaked out and bolused. I didn't find out until about 10 minutes later, when I tested again, that I was 112 mg/dl. I drank regular soda the entire waitressing shift and barely broke above 70 mg/dl. Terrible, sweet fingers!!

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the costume idea! That is very funny.

You mean to tell me you don't wash your hands before you test? Or rub your insulin bottle with alcohol? Or change your lancet everytime you test?

Yeah, me neither. I am glad you double checked! That is scary stuff!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Oh man!

Now that was some instincts kicking in to save the day!!

Pretty scary!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

The costume idea is very funny. I love it.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Alright, since you all seem to approve of the costume, I'll do it. Expect pictures after the even next weekend...

tek

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter