Monday, July 25, 2005

California!

I leave on Wednesday to fly to California for my friends' wedding and a little vacation for me. I tried my bridesmaid dress on last night to make sure it would still fit (I've lost 10 pounds since I changed my eating habits). It was a bit tight before I lost the weight and now it fits perfectly. I bought some of that fake tan lotion to try to get rid of the bright white stripes on my shoulders from wearing spaghetti straps. I'll look foolish in the strapless dress if I don't make them go away!

I got a new one-piece, brown halter top swim suit from J.Crew. I really like it and think it will be great for the beach in California! I most excited about seeing my friends, and helping them get married. This will be the fourth wedding I've been a bridesmaid in in 2 years. My sister's wedding, my best friend from high school's wedding (in the same church and hall as my sister, which created a lot of deja vu), a good friend from college and now my college roommate (four years together and we never fought. amazing!). Her and her fiance are wonderfully laid back and I think their wedding will be the same. We get to wear flip flops with our dresses!

I fly out on Wednesday. Tonight I'll go home and try to figure out what I need and how I'll pack it all. Insulin, bridesmaid dress, infusion sets + extras, swimsuit, test strips, wedding presents, doctors' numbers, dress rehearsal outfit, camera batteries, meter batteries... I feel like I have double the amount of things to worry about. I think I'm going to make a list at work today so that I can calm my unnecessarily nervous nerves. I've traveled before with my pump and supplies, but I get nervous every time. Will they stop me going through security? Will they know what an insulin pump is? Or will I just go through like any other normal person and not have a problem. And then the fun of checking your blood sugar on a plan. I've done it two ways in the past. Once I just hid what I was doing with my bag and the person next to me was asleep, so they didn't care/notice. But the second time the person was awake. It was a little ol' lady and I just said "Miss, I just wanted to let you know that I need to check my blood sugar, that won't bother you right?" and it didn't. I know that I could easily hide what I'm doing so people don't become alarmed by the site of blood, but people are nervous about someone hiding what they are doing on planes...

So while I'm nervous, I've done this before and haven't forgotten anything too important in the past. I'm 80% excited, 20% nervous. I can't wait for Wednesday.

7 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like me -- well, except for one thing. I just test and don't worry about what people think.

But the anxious before a trip and the list making. It does help though. At least that way, if you forget something it's because you didn't put it on the list or didn't look at the list (I've done both).

And also don't worry, I usually forget something. Hopefully something I can buy there.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And have a good trip!

(See, I told you I always forget something).

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I travel quite a bit, and several times I have been asked to take my "cell phone" off. I just tell them it's my insulin pump and that I am a diabetic. Everytime they were aware of what it was and I was not given any problems. I usually offer to let them do a pat down on me as well. My little Cozmo pump has never set off the detectors either. Enjoy!

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tekakwitha, stumbled upon your site accidently but it was such a fascinating read i was hooked for a good half hour. I'm currently trying to rekindle my blog on fancy dress for little girl but i feel my first few posts may have deterred people from responding. If you could post one for me, I feel it would help me collect information about fancy dress for little girl. Thanks again for the great read!

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tekakwitha, stumbled upon your site accidently but it was such a fascinating read i was hooked for a good half hour. I'm currently trying to rekindle my blog on lady fancy dress but i feel my first few posts may have deterred people from responding. If you could post one for me, I feel it would help me collect information about lady fancy dress. Thanks again for the great read!

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about Picture of a Hershey Chocolate Bar
. You can check it out at Picture of a Hershey Chocolate Bar


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Tekakwitha, I was just browsing, looking for diabetic recipes related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a diabetic recipes site. It covers everything about diabetes care, complications, treatment and insulin. You'll find it very informative. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter