Friday, July 08, 2005

Crazy old Greek Neighbors

This morning, while drinking my coffee on my porch, I look down into my neighbors yard to see a string hanging down from another string (it's in the garden, used to grow peas and vine plants) with something moving at the bottom. I look closer and see that there is a bird, tied at the feet, hanging upside down trying to stand on one of the horizontal strings. Occationally it got tired and just hung there, upside down. I yell for my roommate to come see this, to make sure I'm not crazy. Yep, she sees it too.

I go back inside and get all my stuff for work together, grab my lunch, brush my teeth, and head out the back door. I walk across the lawn to the fence. I see the old Greek neighbor (I've had encounters with the lady before, but never the man). He is sitting in a chair, staring at the bird. I ask him what he's doing to the bird. He replies that the birds eat the flowers off his cucumber plants. He catches them and hangs them upside down for a half hour, then lets them go.

First off, what in the hell is this man talking about? Torturing a bird keeps it away from your garden? Secondly, if this bird actually does stay away for a time, what's to keep all the other birds away? You have a huge garden that attracts birds. It's an endless battle.

Okay. So I tell him that I don't think that it's humane and he should probably untie the bird. He said that the bird was fine. I become a little more assertive and tell him that he's basically torturing the bird and it's disgusting and if I see him hanging birds upside down on strings anymore I may have to call someone about it. (um, who will I call? This may be an empty threat.) He gets up and unties the bird. I leave with a kurt 'have a good morning'. and walk to my bus.

This whole experience was just bizarre.

5 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Crazy, indeed.

Hanging birds upside down to "teach" them not to visit his garden.... that's just messed up.

Kudos to you for having the courage to confront this cruel individual and put a stop to his insanity.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

How the hell is he catching these birds in the first place? I won't lie: I have tried many times to sneak up on a bird or, most often, a squirrel, and no luck. It's not that I want to tie it up, but I just want to give it a happy squeeze.

That bastard. Tell him to leave the birds alone. Threaten to call the Pope or similar.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely nuts. Buddy actually thinks that a bird with a brain the size of a pea is going to learn not to go in his garden?? Right...and I've got oceanfront property in Arizona for sale too...

Any garden centre will carry ornamental stick-in-the-ground thingamagigies (the word escapes me right now) that look pretty and keep birds out. And if that doesn't work, there's always the option of getting a cat...(course then there's always the chance he'd hang the cat from it's tail for some transgression...)

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I guess the guy never heard of a scare crow.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Kerri- we have no idea how he catches them! I for some reason imagine this old man being strangly nimble and snapping his hand out and just grabbing them, but he probably uses a net.

I didn't see any victims this weekend, so if he's still hanging them, it's when I'm at work. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter