Tuesday, July 19, 2005

No, I'm not texting my friends.

I went on date number two last night. Again it was... fine. Very nice guy, there's just not that spark or chemistry or whatever you call it. Anyway, on to the diabetic related portion of my evening.

We are seated (Thai restaurant, so good) and order. She brings out our appetizer. I tested minutes before in the bathroom so all I have to do is enter it into my meter. I try to be fast about it, and I am. But when you are on a date and your date starts looking down at something, you hear electronic beeps etc, you get confused. Is she sending her friends a text message right now?! How rude! I just ignore his slight confusion and start eating our yummy appetizer. Then the entrees come. Okay, time to just tell him so he doesn't think I'm being horrible.

"yeah, so, just so you know that I'm not texting my friends or anything... I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have to take insulin when I eat, so I'm using my insulin pump to do that, not my phone." I just wanted to let him know what I was doing, didn't really want to get into it, especially since I realized I probably wasn't going to go on another date with him. It never happens like that though! He confesses he has no idea what type 1 is etc. I give him my ridiculously short explanation of what type 1 vs type 2 is. I think we're fine to go on to other topics now. I think I've made it through without turning the date into a teacher/student education on diabetes. That is, until he said "well, I better be careful about that, especially since I'm a pastry chef and eat so many sweets." doh! no no no. Now I'm completely out of date mode and into educate the non-diabetic mode. Don't worry Mr. Pastry Chef, you won't get diabetes because you eat a lot of sweets. No one gets diabetes because of that. I didn't eat a lot of sweets when I was a child... blah blah blah.

At the end of dinner he says he brought me a gift. Chocolate raspberry jam. Homemade. I wave good-bye and start walking home. I just have to find a place to hide the jam so my roommates don't eat too much and *gasp* get the 'betes too!

P.S. I tasted the jam and I could eat it by the spoonful. So good! I think I'm going to keep it around to use for when I'm having lows. Perfectly full of sugar!

6 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

Loved this... so much that I linked you on the blog this PM! A great anecdote about daily life for those with T1D. So have you had any lows and gotten to try the jam? how is it?

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Thanks Martha!

No lows yet... I did taste the jam though, and it's fabulous!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Ok, so now you know how to handle telling dates about your diabetes. You handled it exactly how I would if I actually had diabetes.

I wish I could taste some of that jam!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Watch out for that jam, Tek. It may give you diabetes...

So there's no chance of a second date with M.P.C.?

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

No, no more dates with MPC. Not because he's ignorant of diabetes, just because there's no chemistry. It seems to be an important part of dating... :)

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm tired of playing Diabetes 101 Teacher! And I'm not even in the Dating Game anymore. But I know EXACTLY how you feel... in fact, just wrote my next column for dLife on the topic -- the tiresome questions, the can-we-please-just-talk-about-something-else-now syndrome. Aaack.

Anyway, sorry to hear that MPC wasn't The One. You'll know when you meet Him...

Take care,
Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter