Wednesday, August 10, 2005

End of the Honeymoon?

I'm curious, for those of you that remember, what the end of the honeymoon period is like. Is it sudden, like within a few days/weeks? Or is it drawn out over months? I ask because for the past few weeks I've been having some highs. Nothing drastic, but 2 hours after eating, when I am eating the same thing that I always do and normally bring it right back down to 100 or so, it's 150. So I correct and then it's back to 100 in two more hours.

I'm playing with my basal rate which previously was so low that I had a basal rate of 0 from 8am to 8pm. I've had to increase the basal during the night time as well since I've been waking up a bit higher than normal.

I just get so nervous when I change my rates. I hate the lows but I do like to keep tight control.

Any ideas/tips would be welcome. I got see my endocrinologist at the end of the month so I'll talk to him about it too.

5 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I guess because Brendon was so young, the end of his honeymoon had sort of a fading out. At first he needed hardly any insulin...equivalent to a teeny drop per day. I was like, his body is screwed up because he's lacking a millimeter of insulin? But months later he started needing more and more until there was a point where he never went less than a certain amount.

As for hard numbers and trends, because he's a kid, there's no such thing as a trend. I'm curious to see what everyone else tells you.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Tek,

I have no idea what the norm is, but I honeymooned for over four years. I remember the doctors at Joslin interviewing me for a journal article because my honeymoon period was so extended. Even now, I am on a lower dose of insulin (considering my age, weight, and number of years as a diabetic) than "average."

I do, however, remember that the honeymooning period made my mother nuts. I was on NPH insulin at the time and it was almost impossible to estimate when my pancreas was going to kick in without notice.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

It was really clear to us because we began seeing many numbers in the 300s in the late mornings, particularly. Many people are insulin resistant in the mornings, including our son, and this was the tipoff that the honeymoon was over.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm still honeymooning, but I worry every time I have to step up doses the slightest bit that it might be over! Thanks for asking this question, 'cause I'm very curious, too.

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Home Remedies : The Best Way To Get Rid Of Many Diseases Without Any Side Effects. These Natural Home Remedies Are Proved By Many Medical Institutes So That These are the best option because they are cheap and no have no side effects like pills or other treatment options.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter