Monday, August 08, 2005

It's time

Since being diagnosed I've been wrapped up in my own care that I haven't done a thing to help The Cause. So I've decided it's time. I've signed up to walk the Ron Santo Walk to Cure Diabetes. I didn't want to walk alone so I asked my brother and roommate if they'd join me. They both plan on signing up as well. My brother's excited because he gets to pay back all those co-workers of his who always are asking him for money for various fund raisers for their kids. :)

While signing up it asks you for a goal amount to raise. The site said most people do $100. What? Only $100!? That made me nervous about raising money. Maybe it's really hard? I haven't done this sort of thing since doing a Dance Marathon in college ('dance' or stay on your feet for 24 hours and raise tons of money for kids with cancer). I think I raised most of my money through the company I interned with in the summer. Anyway, I put a goal of $400 but hope to raise much more than that.

What I'm nervous about is that I'll be using myself to guilt people into donation essentially. Or at least that's how I see it now.

Co-worker A: Hi Tekakwitha. How's it going?
Me: Oh, it's great. But it sure would be better if I didn't have this damn diabetes! How about you give me money so others can find a cure for me!
Co-worker A: ummmm...

Okay, so that's not how I'm going to do it. And it's actually not how I feel about it. I don't want to feel like I'm doing this for myself. I want people to know that I'm doing this for others. "I'm doing it for the children!" is what I'd like to say. But that's way cheesy. Reading Shannon, Martha & Sandra's blogs about their experience as mothers of young diabetics has really moved me. These kids are SO strong and seem to be dealing with this burden with great attitudes (and parents!). But they shouldn't have to!

Anyway, the walk is in October and I just sent out my first 'donate please' email. I also plan on donating a big chunk of paycheck myself. I'm excited about the walk too, not just raising money for The Cause. To be surrounded by people and their families that are affected by diabetes will be quite an experience I think.

4 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Tek, there's nothing to it. Raising money is super easy. Either email or call your friends and family and they will donate.

I did that and set a goal of $500. When I saw the thermometer rise on the JDRF website past $500, I set it to $1,000. When all was said and done, I raised $1800 with hardly any effort.

My brother told his friends, my mom told her friends and some distant relatives, etc. Word of mouth travels a long way.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Oh, and thanks for that sweet mention of me and the others :)

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, Tek :)
You will have a fantastic time! These events are a great place to meet all kinds of people, Diabetic and non-Diabetic. And often companies market themselves by setting up booths to show off their cool gadgets (I've come across lots of freebies in the past this way).

As for racking up donations...work is a great place to guilt people into giving up their money. ;) If you really want to raise some change try posting flyers in your local clinic (whether it's a GP or an Endo's office), or contact your local radio station and ask them to advertise it. It works!

And have fun on your walk! :) Good luck!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

Yay T! Good for you.

Shesh, I feel like a heel b/c I set my JDRF walk goal at only $250. Maybe I should raise it? This is our first time at this stuff, so I shall play it by ear. I hope to raise a lot more!

Good job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter